Desserts and cakes

Traditional Italian Christmas Cake: The Pandoro!!!!

19:09

For the Italian version click here!!!
I've thought a lot about whether to write this post or not ... I finally decided to write it 'cause you can not always just share the successes... We learn from mistakes ... and maybe my mistakes can be useful to someone else.
As soon as I cut the Pandoro and then I realised I had made ​​some big mistakes I posted the picture on facebook, and even if  from the photo appears good the taste is not at all that  of Pandoro ... but it' s too "buttery" too much .... I'd say.
I've tried to understand the errors I made,and with the help of some friends I realised  I basically made two big mistakes:
1. I put less yeast than necessary, I always use the yeast dehydrated and I put 5g. Usually for the pizza dough that rises very slowly it's fine, but of course this is a very different preparation.
2. Since the dough raised very slowly I kept the Pandoro in the oven  at a too high temperature and the butter melted. I had not thought about the fact that the temperature should never exceed 26 º C.
However, for my taste there is too much butter in this recipe, the next time I will definitely put less.
In any case, the Pandoro is not 'finished in the trash, but I prepared a lemon cake! Definitely a treat!! The recipe can be found here!
Dear friends I wish you a Merry Christmas full of happiness and everything you desire with your family and friends!

PANDORO (ITALIAN TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS CAKE)INGREDIENTS:
Biga:
  • 50g of strong flour (Manitoba)
  • 
5g of dried yeast
  • 38g of water at room temperature

 final dough:
  • 60g of flour weak
  • 115g strong flour (Manitoba)
  • 1 egg yolk (about 30 g)
  • 
2 small eggs (80g)
  • 17g butter, softened high quality
  • 50g of powdered sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • pure vanilla extract
Final preparation:
  • 125 g of butter quality
  • 17 g of flour weak

Better if you start the night before to prepare the biga that should rise about 10 hours.Mix the ingredients quickly, cover the bowl with cling film  and let rise in a warm place for at least 10 hours. The next morning start to prepare the pandoro dough.Mix well the two flours and icing sugar with the biga. Add the eggs one at a time, then a pinch of salt and vanilla essence.When the dough appears smooth add the butter at room temperature. Knead until you have a smooth and elastic dough. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl and let rise until doubled in size.Mix the butter with the flour and roll it into a very thin rectangle with a rolling pin. Store in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap until ready to start making the folds.Roll out the dough  with a rolling pin to obtain a rectangle with a 2cm thickness Put the butter in the center of the dough and fold the dough 3 times.Roll out the dough with a rolling pin again and make fold again 3 times.. Practice this procedure for 3 times.After you make each fold put the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes and 10 minutes in the freezer.The butter must be cold.At this point form a ball with the dough and arrange it, with the fold upwards, in the greased and floured pandoro mould .Let rise until it reaches the edge of the mould.Put it in not pre-heated oven to a temperature of 155 º C for about 40 minutes. Do the toothpick test.Let cool Pandoro in the mold. 
Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving!



You Might Also Like

1 commenti