Desserts and cakes

Pasteis de nata!!!!

03:04

Ceramics from GreenGate
For the Italian version click here!!!
I've been trying to write this post for 3 days now....hopefully I'll be able to publish it in just a few minutes.... During our trip to Lisbon in november I had the chance to try the famous and original "pasteis de nata" or pasteis de belem.... I felt in love with them immediately, they are so delicious and of course I had to try them at home! They are quite easy to make, even tough the original recipe is a secret but I think these ones were delicious too. The only problem is that I can't find the proper moulds, so the edge didn't get the chance to open up properly (mine are to high) and from the picture you can't really see the layers of the pastry. I've made them a few times now...the first time I used ready made puff pastry, but definitely the pastry was not right....Then I made  pastry myself...and are much better. I just need to find the proper moulds to try again...hopefully soon!!
INGREDIENTS:
Pastry:
175g flour
100g water
100g soft butter
A pinch of salt
Custard cream:
250g sugar
125ml water
1-2 cinnamon sticks
lemon zest
250ml whole milk


I've mixed for a few minutes the flour with the pinch of salt and water with my food processor Clatronic km3323. Add the water little at the time, the result should be a soft and smooth dough, not sticky. Let rest for 30 minutes and divide the soft butter in 3 equal parts. Roll out the dough in a well floured surface to a 2 mm thickness and spread the first part of butter over all surface. Fold the pastry in 3 and turn 90º. Roll out the pastry again and repeat the same procedure for 2 times until you have finished the butter. Finally roll out the pastry again into a 2-3 mm thickness, roll up the sheet like a swiss roll (see picture underneath). Wrap in cling film and chill for a few hour or you can freeze it.
Prepare the custard cream: Tip the sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon into a pan with the water and bring to a boil. Mix the flour and cornflour with a small amount of milk until you have a smooth paste. Bring the rest of the milk to a boil, then pour it onto the flour mixture, whisking continuously. Pour back into a clean pan and bring to a simmer, whisking until the mixture thickens. Remove the cinnamon and lemon then stir both mixtures together and add the eggs, bring back to a simmer and whisk until smooth. Allow to cool. Cut the pastry roll into slices about 1 cm - 2cm thick and cover each mold or muffin case. Divide the custard into each case and bake in a warm oven at 250º- 230º for 18-20 minutes until the custard is golden brown. Serve warm dusted with icing sugar and cinnamon.
Ceramics from GreenGate


You Might Also Like

0 commenti